Chef Aida Khan opened the doors to SHOLA Karachi Kitchen in 2019, located in White City, West London. The storefront and atmosphere inside the restaurant is already inviting, it’s bright with splashes of colour. Shola is Urdu for ‘spark’ and it’s hard not feel an immense of excitement after you try one of their many delicious dishes.
What did I eat?
- Kurkuri Bhindi – Skinny okra fries coated in spicy gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Chicken Pakora – Crispy, gluten-free, tender chicken bites, with Shola seasoning
- Bun Kebab – Pulled chicken slider with onions and Shola chutney, toasted in a brioche bun
- Chicken Tikka Boti (Spicy) – Fiery, juicy chicken thighs, marinated overnight in a green and red chilli turmeric infused yoghurt
- Meetha Paratha – Sugar-dusted, flaky flatbread, fried in ghee
SHOLA is the perfect place to hit up for an introduction to Pakistani cuisine if you’ve never tried it before, it’s modern whilst still retaining traditional recipes and a home-cooked feeling. The service was warm and friendly, the food was flavourful, if you can handle spice then try out the Chicken Tikka Boti. Don’t deny yourself of ending your visit sweetly, by ordering the Meetha Paratha.
SHOLA Karachi Kitchen is a must visit after the Covid-19 ban lifted but in the meantime happy quarantining!